Search This Blog

Friday, March 26, 2010

Reusable stickers and a few green notes

Do you have name labels sitting around that you will never use?  I don't get these too often anymore since I cancelled a lot of direct mail being sent our way (you can do this at http://www.DMAchoice.org ), but the ones I do have, that I will never use, are being repurposed as yard sale stickers, mini calendar stickers and stickers for the kids.  All you need to do is cut the address part off and often you'll have enough white space leftover to make great yard sale price stickers (or labels for your file folders, or whatever else you could use a little label for).  Most of the time there are also little pictures on the labels which make great stickers.  If you have a local organization that sends things to kids overseas, they might take these, too.  We had a collection for them at our school and were told that the kids really loved and appreciated the stickers.



Tomorrow night at 8:30 pm is Earth Hour. According to their website, http://www.earthhour.org ,
"On Earth Hour hundreds of millions of people around the world will come together to call for action on climate change by doing something quite simple—turning off their lights for one hour. The movement symbolizes that by working together, each of us can make a positive impact in this fight, protecting our future and that of future generations."  I did it last year...for me, it was a time to think about how we use electricity in our house and try to take inventory and figure out ways to use less.

Mother Nature Network just put out some new green inventions.  I love Corky the little brown mouse.  You can check them all out here:  http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/gadgets-electronics/photos/new-green-inventions-15-cutting-edge-items/electronic-footprin#image

3 comments:

  1. Kate, I love your blog because you make me so conscious of my surroundings and my life. I just turned off lights after reading this blog, plus I got my name labels and cut the little pictures out for the kids. We will be at your house tomorrow night, so I will bring a flameless candle along so we can turn out the lights for an hour. I think being informed and more educated will make us all become greener as time goes by. Thanks to people like you...this is happening...even if it's step-by-step <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. DMAchoice was such a great tool, Kate! Thanks so much for the tip!

    ReplyDelete